Friday, August 21, 2009

Kamp Krazy Pt 1

For a strange reason, in August, a Greatful Dead song echos in my head... Chorus goes something like "...what a looooong strange trip its been."

We had a wild time up at Kamp this year. First we arrived a day late because I just thought there were 32 days in July. Zachary was mortified that he missed his first day of Kamp but dove into the routine like a pro.

John, Nicole, David and I hung out the first week at K1. Nicole fell in love with the TAME racoon that the Coopers had. We fed it treats and brought him toys. No big trauma or drama except when Nicole busted her head on the diving board. I have been told it was really my fault. I was trying to teach Nicole all the "board" techniques that I knew. So we started with the front dive (for a dollar). She mastered that in under 10 minutes. Then we progressed to the back dive. Took her a couple more minutes to get it down but she was hitting the water perfect (for another dollar). Then we worked on the front flip. I started her on the tuck and roll to give her the technique, she did it almost perfect on the first try. (now I am out 3 dollars). So the last thing we were working on before lunch was the backflip. I cannot do a back flip but one of the counselors can, so she demonstrated it about 4 times for her. Co was getting it, but she was awefully close to the board. We tried to correct it but the last time she went straight up and cracked her head against the board on the way down. She swam to the side, crying, I lifted her out of the water and got her piggy back and started to head to the girls nurses station. David stopped me, looked at the wound and said it didn't need staples. That's nice. Blood is mixing with the pool water in her hair and is running down her face. We look like something out a horror flick. As I am going through the Kamp, EVERYONE is out. I have my head down watching my step because I put on Johns slippery flip flops and nicole is wet and covered in blood. I reach the door of the nursing station and I look up and the nurses say "oh its YOU". They thought I was a counselor. I lay her on the bed and look at their faces and the are all looking very sick until I say "it is her head not her face". They clean her up while I dry off outside looking through the window. When I went back to get her the first thing she said was "YOU OWE ME 4 BUCKS, THAT LAST ONE COUNTED"

Later that day both the Kamp directors came up and asked David if there was a little girl hurt today. Apparently half the kids told one set of Kamp directors it was one of their children hurt and the other kis told the other directors it was one of their children. It was so funny.

No comments: