Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ever thought about what you are saying?


I was watching tv the other night and someone said "...the world is her oyster." I have heard that phrase throughout my life and no matter what explination I get I still think it is stupid. I mean, oysters are smelly and gross. Most of them don't have pearls, if they do then they are not usually the nice round ones. If you eat an oyster, you don't enjoy the taste or even chew for that matter. So what are really saying with that phrase.. That the world is an ugly, mindless, sea slug that tastes horrible.

That brings me to another phrase I hear ALL the time... (make sure you say it with the soft southern draw) "Bless her heart.." That only translates to one thing for me "She is so stupid" Why are we blessing her heart, should be praying for her brain?

Then there is "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" - Huh? That would make for a weird world series don't ya think. Players changing sides to be on the winning team in game 4.

There are the southern phrases that people from other places don't understand... Like "... the dog out of" . I was talking to some kids on the yearbook staff last year and I told them I had taken this really good picture of the football team but I had to photoshop the dog out of it because of the shadows. The little blonde girl from california looked intently at the picture and asked "where was the dog?" What was bad, was the boy behind her was pointing out where he thought the dog had been.


FYI... THERE WAS NO DOG!

No comments: