Tuesday, June 16, 2009

...explain to me the rational

Day Two:

The plan was for me to pick up John from Kamp by noon. Eat lunch and drive him to the Little Rock Airport for his 5:30 flight. We should have plenty of time.

What actually happened:
I was listening to the radio as I was driving to Kamp and they were going on and on about this line of storms headed for the "listening area". So I call David and ask him to look at the weather. There is this snaking storm headed for me. So I grab John, we grab some burgers and go speeding down the road. We were staying JUST ahead of the storm. I could see it in my rearview. That was until we hit Demascus, Ark. The sky turned this lovely shade of green and when I looked out my window, I saw this dark cloud reach down like it had a finger and touch the ground. I woke John up and said..."Hey look a tornado!!" It was very cool. Then I lost sight of it. The wind was blowing left then would randomly blow right. The water on the road looked like sand blowing across. Trees and limbs were falling everywhere. I kept driving. It was a 5 lane road and I was going slow there was traffic coming from the other direction so I said outloud... "Since there is still traffic coming, I am going to keep driving." It was quiet in the car for a couple minutes til John asks.. "Could you please explain the rational behind that decision?" So I told him that if cars were coming from the other direction that meant that the road way was clear. So he said "Oh, I was thinking maybe they were all running from danger and maybe we should follow." Driving through that weather was one of the freakiest things I think I have ever experienced. It was like I was watching a movie. We get past the mayhem only to discover I40 outside of LR has become a parking lot. I pull off the TOAD SUCK PARK exit (not going to forget that name to quickly) to ask the guy at the gas station how to get around. English speak american not much very. Luckily there was a fire volunteer leaving to go "the back way" past the traffic. We followed him. We got around. Then we got to a place where you could go on one of the 4 highways... CRUD! I called David, no answer.... I had to make a decision so I took the one that said LITTLE ROCK and not the one that said MEMPHIS. I believe I mentioned I was directionally challenged earlier. Another horribally WRONG decision. It is now 4PM. John's plane leaves in an hour and a half. David is telling me I am on the wrong road. So I pull off to ask another gas station immigrant where to go. The good news is I am close. It wasn't actually the wrong road. I jump back into the car and go zooming to get on the onramp only to find that I30 is also a parking lot. I know the airport is to the left of me and I know I am close so I stay in the right hand lane (which I think is going to exit) and start going. The lane ends and I continue on the shoulder of the road. I turn on my hazards.... it is 4:15. This ....... PERSON..... decided that they didn't like me driving on the shoulder of the road so they try and pull their vehicle IN FRONT of me so I can't pass. I didn't slow down, I didn't veer, I kept going. I decided if I hit their car it would be the LEAST of their worries. I whizzed past them and got off at the exit. I went into a NAPA auto parts store. I yelled... "I am not from here, I am trying to get my son to the airport, his plane leaves in an hour and the highway is a parking lot, can someone help me?" This older gentleman grinned and said... "your on the right street. Keep going straight and it will take you right to the airport." Remember Jesus???? THIS was the road that was "go right at Jesus"

PHEW... We BLAZED a path to the airport. When I got there I stayed in the middle lane, not knowing where the parking entrance was. It was to my left, so I put on my breaks to let a 1982 gold U-Push-It pass and he SLAMS on his breaks. So I smile and wave him forward and he pulls up about 5 feet and stops again.. I am trying to turn behind him but he is turned around in his car, waving his arms and having some kind of spaz attack. I start imitating him while I put the car in reverse and make it around him. I am mumbling, "Boy... I wouldn't mess with me if I were you!" We park and run to the checkin and run to the security. I get through security but John keeps on BEEPING at the metal detector. He had his phone in his pocket. DOrk. So we sprint to the gate as they are lining up and John says.... I'm Hungry. "They give you peanuts on the plane, ask for an extra pack." was my initial response. I had no cash and there was no ATM machine around so I sent him with one of my credit cards and told him act like you know how to use it. He boarded the plane and I watched them take off.

I returned to the car and went Right at Jesus. I stopped at the gas station by the highway and bought a map. I plotted out my course and headed back to Branson to spend another night. The drive back was actually quite pleasent and you would have never known there was a huge storm there if it weren't for trees on top of cars. I made it back to my hotel, checked email and went to bed.....

the last day is when things get weird! but that is tomorrow.

No comments: