Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Excuse me Sir....

The last days of my travels actually started out fairly normal although it turned out to be the weirdest of them all. Went to Kamp, picked up Colby, got food, got gas, got on the road. Everything was good until we hit Dallas. I was on 75 in the HOV lane talking to David on the phone and there was an accident ahead. So I said "Gotta go, there is an accident and I have to pay attention" and hung up. I get past the accident and my phone rings. I try to answer and get screeching. I hit "end" and then "send". There is now clicking noise. I look at the screen and it is flashing different colors. So I turn it off. When I turn it back on the Verizon check is the only thing on . Wont stop. Phone is dead. Died. Gone. Bye bye. So we get south of Dallas and there is this SHELL combo station. It has a subway and a Church's chicken in it. So we stop, fill up, order and I go in search of a phone.

I explain to the lady behind the counter that I just need to call my husband to tell him I am not in a ditch and was there a phone I could use or a payphone. She said that the manager was in a RED shirt and to ask him. I turned around and there was a man by the door in a red shirt. I walked over to him and said "Excuse me Sir...." to which he put his hand up in my face and walked off. SOOOOOOO I walked over to Colby and said... "I am going to go find a phone, you stay here and wait for our order, I will be right back." I was directed to the payphone which was out by the street. I went to the car, got change, when to the pay phone, figured out it was broken, put the change back in the car and went back into the shell station. Colby hands me a $10 bill and says, "that guy in the red shirt said to give this to you". HE THOUGHT I WAS A HOBO..... THAT I WAS ASKING FOR MONEY!!! I have NEVER been mistaken for a vagrant before!! Colby and I bought Ice Cream with the money and gave the change to the little girl who rang us up. The nice police officer let me use his phone and let my husband know that I wasn't dead. We made it home all in one piece. I couldn't wait to go to bed.

2 comments:

Quiltermama said...

Remind me to take you along with me when I'm short on cash! ;-)

Ashleigh said...

Hilarious! But seriously, some people are so rude, but hey, who knows, maybe Palmer, TX is the Hobo Capital of the World...Brady, TX is the Goat Meat Capital of the World... ;-)